The Department of Information Technology Services (ITS) provides technology support services for the campus community. ITS makes student life on Florida A&M University’s (FAMU) campus easier with user friendly and innovative technology. ITS’s interaction with students begins early during the admissions process when they receive their FAMNetID. A student’s FAMNetID is the username they will use throughout their entire student and alumni experience at FAMU. Students use their FAMNetID to access four major systems: FAMMail, iRattler, FAMU Wireless Internet and Blackboard.
- FAMMail- Stay informed. FAMU’s official method of communication for students operates on Microsoft Office365 cloud based system and Microsoft Exchange 2010 email system for faculty and staff.
- iRattler - Stay in the know. Students use iRattler to access academic records, campus finances, academic planning, enrollment services, and personal account information.
- FAMU Wireless Internet- Stay connected. FAMU Wireless is available campus wide to provide internet service where students need it the most.
- Blackboard - Keep up with your class information, homework assignments and even attend virtual classes.
Additional ITS Services:
Bulk Request (TMS)
The department of Information Technology Services should be consulted about requests as soon as possible. The timeframe for setup varies. Large and urgent requests, with time constraints, may be deferred to an outside vendor. Should an outside vendor assist with setup, ITS field technicians will configure an ITS administrator profile on each computer that will allow ITS access.
Our ITS Helpdesk is located in the University Commons G126. We strive to assist students with technology-related needs in a convenient and timely manner. We assist faculty and staff with full technical support and for our students, we provide technical consultation, assistance with connecting to Wi-Fi and software installation.
The student IT lounge located in the University Commons will extend our hours to 6PM – 6AM Monday – Friday during the fall and spring semester, 8AM-5PM during the summer.
Students can expect a relaxed, technology friendly environment where they can study, complete homework assignments, or simply chat with friends. A Security Officer will be provided on site to ensure the safety, well-being, and conduct of all patrons. Additionally, the area is also equipped with video surveillance. Services available to students from 8AM-12PM (fall and spring semester) or 8AM-5PM (summer semester) will be internet access and the use of the computers. Other Helpdesk services (email, password resets etc.,) will be available between the hours of 8AM – 5PM. Monday-Friday.
ITS provides several information technology kiosks across campus. The locations are in Foote-Hilyer Administration Center in the Office Financial Aid, Student Account office, and the Registrar’s office, Campus Recreation Building, and Student Services Center.
Removing Data from Hard Drive Request (TMS)
Request(s) to remove data from a hard drive prior to transferring the hard drive to the department of Property Management is done by submitting a ticket through the Task Management System (TMS). This task requires for technicians to thoroughly remove data which is a lengthy process. The process will require at least 4-5 business days per hard drive.
Smart Classrooms- ITS partnered with the Office of Instructional Technology (OIT) to provide a technologically enhanced and virtual learning experience through state-of-the-art smart classrooms. Over thirty-three classrooms are equipped with smart boards. All classrooms on campus are scheduled to have smart in the near future.
Policy and Procedures: IT Help Desk Services
Technology support services are provided through the Department of Information Technology Service Center. This support unit is committed to delivering quality customer service and technical solutions in support of campus-wide technology.
Customer Service Statement
- Striving to ensure customer satisfaction
- Responding to requests for support within published time frames
- Interacting with faculty and staff in a respectful and courteous manner
- Requesting feedback for opportunities for improvement
- Continuously working to improve the quality of service
First Tier – Help Desk Technicians
- Email Accounts and Access
- iRattler Account and Access
- Configuring wireless
- Desktop support
Second Tier – Field Technicians
- Printer Setup/Maintenance
- Scanning Services
- Technology Consultation
- Technology Replacement and installations
- Desktop hardware/software installation
- Internet Access
Methods of Requesting Assistance/Service
- Phone: 850-412-4357
- Task Management System: www.famu.edu/tms
Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
|Priority||Definition||Response Time||Completion Time|
|Very High||A problem that affects the entire University, group of users, or the President of the University and the President’s administration Team||Within 1 hour||Within 4 hours unless otherwise.|
|High||A problem with no known workaround that affects a single user||Within 2 hours||Within 1 working day|
|Medium||A general service request or problem with a workaround solution.||Within 1 working day||Within 2 working days|
|Low||A service request that does not require immediate attention or involves long range planning.||Within 3 working days||Within 5 working days|
In order to facilitate the support process, the members of the university community are requested to:
- Provide detailed information regarding service requests.
- Make every effort to be available to communicate with a field technician.
- Exercise patience by understanding the volume of requests the IT Help Desk receives each day and the rationale for assessing service priorities.
Hardware and Software Standards
The help desk will provide support for standardized, campus-wide hardware and software that is provided from the IT Service Support Director.